I had the honor of attending the wedding of someone who is not family by traditional standards but certainly is by my standard. I saw people from my long ago past that have loved me unconditionally through some really good times and some not so good times. It made me so very happy.
Two things:
First, Family. I am not one of those people whos parents were married once and who have been steady in my life. Our family is more a mismatch of people in at some time and maybe or maybe not out at another. Although this has been hard at times, it has also been a huge blessing to me at others. I grew up with different perspectives than a lot of my friends and I would like to think it toughened me up a bit. It also taught me something about family. Family to me doesn't mean those who you are related to (necessarily) it means those that love you.
Second, I grew up. Not in the I'm older sense (which is certainly true) but in the sense that I finally have a peace about my life. When I was younger stress, circumstances beyond my control, and youth all joined forces to make me a restless girl. I hadnt grown into the person I am today yet and I wasn't always equipped emotionally or spiritually for the things that life threw at me. This weekend one of those non-related family members that love me so much kept commenting about how happy, calm, and beautiful (I liked this one) I looked. I replied that I am happier than I have ever been because I have finally been able to rid my life of some of the things that make people unhappy. I am calm because I can find peace in the life that God has blessed me with.
Not that life is always easy breezy now but even in the stormy times I feel happier and at peace with the life that I have been given.
No comments:
Post a Comment